Lubbock Christian University will celebrate Homecoming Weekend 2017 on Thursday, Feb. 2 through Saturday, Feb. 4. With over forty events, LCU offers a weekend of reunions, friends, and Follies for alumni and their families.
Thursday night’s basketball doubleheader that kicks off Homecoming events for 2017 will be televised nationally by American Sports Network and will be the first ever nationally televised events inside the Rip Griffin Center. The games against TAMIU are scheduled at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. for the women’s and men’s teams respectively. The games will be streamed to radio at KJTV AM950/100.7FM and televised by ASN and locally on KJTV Fox 34 News NOW. LCU is providing free admission to the Thursday games and encourages Chap Nation fans to come in full force.
Master Follies 2017 “Dream On”
An epic annual tradition at LCU Homecoming, Master Follies features musical performances by hosts and hostesses, as well as choreographed theatrical follies by the university social clubs. Audiences vote for their favorite show for the People’s Choice award while judges select winners based on a number of criteria. This year’s Follies is sponsored by Anderson Bros. Jewelers. Two performances still have tickets available: Friday night, Feb. 3 at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday afternoon, Feb. 4 at 3 p.m. The Saturday night performance and awards ceremony sold out soon after tickets went on sale.
60th Anniversary Celebration Dinner
A special Celebration Dinner for the LCU 60th Anniversary will be held on Saturday, Feb. 4, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. in the Rhodes Perrin Recreational Center. The dinner, sponsored by Scoggin Dickey, will feature popular songs performed by alumni representing the six decades of LCU history along with reflections on the university shared by Presidents Lemley, Jones, and Perrin. Tickets are available online through Feb. 3 for $10 and will be $15 at the door. Children six and under are free.
Class reunions are a yearly staple at Homecoming and are individually catered to each alumni decade. Classmates from each decade meet on Friday night, Feb. 3 at 5:30 p.m. to catch up and reminisce about their time at LCU. RSVPs are required for anyone planning on attending. The reunions will be held in the following locations:
- 1959 – 1962 Reunion will be held in the Cardwell Welcome Center Rotunda
- 1963 – 1969 Reunion will be held in the Katie Rogers Parlor
- 1970s Decade Reunion will be held in the Rhodes-Perrin Rec Center
- 1980s Decade “Coke and Nacho” will be held in the SUB
- 1990s Decade Reunion will be held in the Baker Conference Center
- 2000s – 2010s Decades Coffee House will be held in the LCU Starbucks
Social Club Breakfasts have been a long-time tradition at LCU Homecoming so that alumni of LCU’s current campus social clubs can meet current members. However, in recent years, several new events have been added to encompass more groups on campus. The Veterans of Faith Breakfast will be an inaugural event this year for alumni and future alumni who have served or are currently serving in the military. The recently added Lettermen’s Breakfast serves as a gathering for athletics alumni of all sports. The Forever Blue Breakfast Club, also recently added, is a social club reunion breakfast for alumni of clubs that are no longer active (including Adelphoi, Agape, Alpha Epsilon Chi, Cavaliers, Chi Rho, Galaxy, Iota, Ko Jo Kai, Metah Moe, Phileo, Sigma Kappa Chi, Talitha Koum, Theta Rho, Tomo Dachi, Tri Gamma Chi, and more). The breakfasts will be held in the following locations:
- The Veterans of Faith Breakfast will be held in the LCU Starbucks
- Alpha Chi Delta and Kappa Phi Kappa will meet in the LCU Cafeteria
- Christliche Damen will meet in the Baker Conference Center
- Koinonia will meet in the SUB
- Kyodai and Lambda Omega Alpha will meet at Greenlawn Church of Christ
- Sub T-16 will meet at Rudy’s Barbecue
- Zeta Gamma will meet at South Plains Church of Christ
- The Forever Blue Breakfast Club will be held in the Betty Hancock Parlor
- The Lettermen’s Breakfast will be held in the Rip Griffin Center