What is LCU’s mission statement?

Lubbock Christian University was founded by members of the Churches of Christ dedicated to restoring New Testament Christianity. To honor its heritage, the university is committed to imparting this faith and its values to future generations.

The mission of Lubbock Christian University is to educate students, imparting values for scholarship and for living. Through its baccalaureate and graduate programs, the university challenges students to think critically, to excel in their disciplines, and to model Christ.

Do you have to be a Bible major?

Absolutely not. While we do have a highly respected Bible department, we offer over 60 different degrees. Our three most popular degrees plans are Biology, Education, and Nursing. See a full listing of our degrees.

I would like to visit campus, when can I come?

There are two ways to visit our campus. The first is to schedule a private campus vist. Your admissions counselor will show you around the campus, take you to lunch, even make an appointment with a professor, or let you sit in on a class. You can schedule your campus visit. The second option is to attend on a Chap Day.

What is a Chap Day?

Chap Day is a group campus visit which includes a department fair, chapel, campus tour, lunch, and much more. You will also meet fellow students interested in LCU – possibly your future roommate! Visit your personal URL at to register today!

Can you send me more information about LCU?

We would love to! Just click here.

How do I apply?

Complete the Application for Admission

Submit ACT or SAT score

Submit your High School Transcript

What are the application deadlines?

For Early Decision: December 1st of your senior year (transcript needed at the end of your junior year).

For Regular Decision: February 1st or your senior year (transcript needed at the end of fall semester of senior year).

For Provisional Decision: June 15th after your senior (transcript needed at the end of your senior year).

There are no deadlines for Transfers.

What is the application fee?

There is a $25 application fee.

What is the GPA and the ACT/SAT score requirements to be accepted?

To calculate eligibility follow this link to our admissions requirements.

Will you honor a home study program diploma?

Yes, LCU recognizes completion of a home school secondary curriculum.

Will you accept a GED?

Yes, if you passed the General Education Development (GED) with a minimum average score of 45 or higher.

How long will it take before I know if I am accepted?

Upon the receipt of your application and ACT/SAT test scores, you will receive notice in the mail, and be contacted by your admissions counselor.

Will I be able to transfer my hours from another college?

Most courses from an accredited college or junior college with a grade of a C or higher will transfer. Vocational, Technical or remedial classes will not transfer. Students will need to check with their advisors for clarification of how the class will fit into their academic plan.

At what level does LCU Athletics Participate?

Lubbock Christian University is now an official member of NCAA Division II athletics.

Do I have to live on campus?

Yes. All incoming first time students are required to live on campus for two years unless they have family in Lubbock. All students are encouraged to live on campus. However, non-traditional students are not required to live on campus.

Can I have a car on campus?

Yes. All students living on campus are allowed a car. Most students who live on campus keep their cars parked at the dorms and walk to class. Students who commute have plenty of parking as well.

What student activities do you offer?

Too many to count! A few of our most popular are T.W.I.R.P. Week (think Sadie Hawkins), Spiritual Renewal Week, intramurals, social clubs, Master Follies, campus golf, pancake supper, and many many more. Our students also love attending Chaparral athletic events.


How will I be notified of my acceptance to LCU?

You will receive a notice from the admissions officer with instructions on how to proceed with your registration.

What classes will not transfer to LCU?

Any remedial, vocational, technical, or business school courses will not transfer. Additionally no courses in which you have withdrawn or received a grade of D or F will transfer.

How many hours will you accept from other schools?

Your last 36 hours must be completed at LCU in order to attain your degree.

How many Bible classes will I be required to take?

Students transferring with 60 or more hours, will be required to take 6 hours of Bible (2 classes). Students with 30-59 hours must take 9 hours. Students transferring with less than 30 hours, must take 12 hours of Bible.

How long does it take for my transcripts to be transposed?

The process will take about 3 days.


How long does it take to get an I-20?

This will depend on how quickly the student returns all required paperwork. All documents must be submitted and fees paid before the I-20 will be issued.

Can I use the same person for the personal and professional recommendation?

No, we ask that you use two different people that are not related to the applicant.

Are scholarships available for international students?

Yes! Contact the international student admissions counselor for more info. Shelley Parnell

Does LCU offer CPT (Curricular Practical Training) or OPT (Optional Practical Training) for international students?

You can apply for CPT if it is an integral part of an established curriculum. In practical terms, “integral part of an established curriculum” means an opportunity must be required by the curriculum or, if not required, the student must receive credit for the training (example: internship). F-1 students must be enrolled in one academic year before they are eligible for CPT.

Students can apply for post-completion OPT three months before the completion of their degree program. Students must be enrolled full time for on full academic year to be eligible for OPT.

Can I be employed while an international student at LCU?

International students can work on-campus and cannot exceed 20 hours per week while in school. Student must obtain a social security number to be eligible for on-campus employment.

Can I transfer to LCU from another school?

Yes, as long as you are “in-status” at another SEVIS approved school. You must fill out the LCU Transfer form and have your I-20 transferred from your current school. Most schools will not transfer your record without an acceptance letter. You will receive an acceptance letter from LCU when we receive an application for admission and an official transcript from your current school.

Financial Assistance

I really want to come to LCU, but my parents don't think we can afford it. Help!

Contact our Financial Assistance office! Most parents are surprised to learn that we can indeed make your coming to LCU possible through student loans, grants and scholarships.

What are my chances of getting financial assistance?

Although we don't know your particular circumstances, your chances are very good since most of our students qualify for some type of financial assistance. Contact the financial assistance office with any questions or requests for more information.

Can my financial aid award change from year to year?

Student assistance and scholarships are based on a variety of factors. Because of this, you must reapply for financial assistance each academic year. Most scholarships are renewable if you maintain the required GPA within the range that you received the aid. If your GPA drops below the requirement you will lose your scholarship. Some scholarships will increase $500 each year if GPA requirements and full-time student status are met.

What kinds of assistance are available?

Scholarships, grants, loans and work study are available to qualified students. Your financial assistance package could include federal and state grants, Stafford Loan, Perkins Loan and institutional aid.

My family has had a lot of medical bills, will this be taken into account in determining the amount of financial assistance I am eligible for?

You need to call the Financial Assistance Office and every effort will be made to work with you.

What types of student loans are available?

"Loans" means that this money must be repaid. There are two basic kinds:



A subsidized loan is based on financial need. The federal government will pay the interest on a subsidized loan through your enrollment period in school and through the grace period.


An unsubsidized loan is not based on financial need but on the cost of attendance. You must either pay the interest monthly/quarterly, or have the interest capitalized (added to the principal loan amount). Repayment of the interest and principle begins six months after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment.

How much should I plan on spending on books for a semester?

This will depend on your class load, but LCU students spend approximately $625.00 per semester. Books are available for purchase through the bookstore on campus.

What steps do I need to take to get financial assistance?

  1. Apply and be accepted for admission to Lubbock Christian University.
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The application is available at
  3. Complete the Application for Financial Assistance
  4. Complete any additional Financial Assistance forms requested
  5. Review your Student Assistance Report (SAR)
  6. Accept financial assistance offer
  7. Decide whether you will borrow the difference (optional)

If I take out a student loan, when do I have to begin repaying it?

Repayment on the Federal Stafford Loans begins six months after you drop below half-time enrollment.

What if I accept a loan and later on find out I don't need the loan?

The loans are flexible. You may cancel part or all of a loan within 14 days after disbursement. Forms to return loans to the lender are in the Financial Assistance office. You may also return the funds to the servicer after the 14-day period.

Should I pay my interest on an unsubsidized student loan while in school?

If you can pay the interest while in school, you will repay less in the long run. If you choose to capitalize the interest (having the interest added to the principle amount of the loan), you will increase the total amount you must pay back after you graduate or drop below half-time enrollment.

What scholarships are available?

Freshman scholarships are based on GPA and ACT/SAT scores. Your LCU scholarship may be renewable and may increase $500 per year for up to four years if you maintain the GPA requirement. View our scholarship page for all of our scholarship opportunities!

What other scholarships are available outside of LCU?

LCU's Financial Assistance Office suggests you check out the following websites for listings: and

Do outside scholarships stack with those given me by LCU?

Yes they do.

What is the FAFSA?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA ) is an application to determine eligibility for state and federal assistance. We ask that all students complete the FAFSA as part of the financial aid process. You can find the application at

How do I apply for state grant money?

Complete the FAFSA.

How about federal grants?

Complete the FAFSA.

I'm from out of state. Will I qualify for TEG grants (Texas Equalization Grants)?

No, these particular grants only apply to students who are Texas residents.

If I do not want to borrow at this time, is there another option for financing my college costs?

Yes, you may want to consider Tuition Management Systems. For more information about this interest free, monthly payment plan, go to or call the LCU Financial Assistance Office at 1-800-933-7601 or 806-720-7176.

Do I have to borrow the entire amount of loan on my Award Letter?

No, borrow only what you need to meet your educational costs. Simply reduce the loan amount you wish to borrow for the academic year when accepting your aid in NetPartner.

What payment options are there for the balance of my bill not taken care of by my financial assistance package?

You can do one of two things at registration each semester:

  • Cash or check payments are accepted in the Business Office.
  • Our online payment programs (SAC and TMS) take credit card payments and also checking/savings account payments. Credit cards accepted are MasterCard, Discover, American Express and will be assessed a processing fee.

How do I know if I will qualify for work study?

Work study is based on financial need determined by FAFSA. You will be notified by the financial assistance office if you qualify.

I've been told I qualify for work study, how do I go about finding an on-campus job?

The Financial Assistance Office will provide a listing of work study jobs, so just check with them. All jobs are subject to the application and interview process.

I don't qualify for work study. Do I have work opportunities?

There are also jobs on campus available for students who do not qualify for federal aid. All jobs are subject to the application and interview process. You can also check with LCU's Career Center. They keep a listing of off-campus jobs available and will try to help you find employment.

What is LCU's Title IV School Code?


How do I receive an FSA ID?

You can apply for an FSA ID at For dependent students, one parent should also apply for an FSA ID.


Are LCU students required to be members of the Church of Christ?

No. Students of all faiths are welcome to attend LCU.

Will teaching assistants be teaching my child's classes?

No. All classes will be taught by a professor.

Is class attendance mandatory for my son/daughter?

Lubbock Christian University has a "no-cut" system. Absences must be explained to the satisfaction of the instructor who will decide whether omitted work may be made up.

Will my son/daughter be able to transfer their hours from another college?

To be acceptable for transfer credit, courses must be of comparable content and level and a grade of C or better must be earned. Coursework submitted from non-regionally accredited institutions must also be evaluated to determine teacher credentials.

My son/daughter wants to attend LCU, but I'm wondering if we can swing it financially. How can I find out if we can really afford to send him/her there?

Just give our Financial Assistance office a call (1.800.933.7601). We think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find out that you can indeed afford to send your child to LCU. We'll work with you and help you find all the financial help we can so your child's dream of attending LCU can come true.

What about safety? Are the residence halls locked at night?

Freshmen are given a nightly curfew and the freshmen resident halls are locked at that time.

What happens if my child gets sick while he/she is away from home?

We have a medical clinic centrally located on campus to handle mild to moderate illnesses and minor medical procedures. The LCU Medical Clinic has both a physician (M.D.) and a nurse (R.N.) on staff, as well as administrative support staff.
Find out more on the Medical Clinic.

Are all LCU students required to have the Meningitis Vaccine?

Yes, all new students are required to be vaccinated, with few exceptions. For more information regarding this requirement, please visit this website. Please also be sure to review and complete the appropriate health forms found at this site.

We are a member of an HMO for our health care and are wondering what HMO groups serve Lubbock?

First Care and HMO Blue.

My son/daughter has special dietary needs. What can we do?

Our food service provider will be happy to work with them to provide the meals they require.

When should we come for a visit?

Check our events calendar. You may want to plan a visit around one of our many campus activities, games or performances. Schedule your personal campus visit today or visit to register for a Chap Day.

What if my son/daughter has roommate challenges?

Students are encouraged to discuss roommate challenges with their Resident Assistant and/or Dorm Supervisor. These staff members will assist in resolving any difficulties.

My child has special health needs. Can he/she get a private room in the dormitories?

Students with special medical needs will receive first priority and other private rooms may be available based on dorm occupancy and availability. Private rooms, of course, will cost more.

How much money will my son/daughter need each month?

Since every student is an individual with different needs and expenses, it would be difficult to pinpoint a specific amount. It would be best to plan a budget in advance in order to prepare for upcoming expenditures.

Does my son/daughter need to make an immediate decision on a major?

Many students enter the University undecided on a major. LCU is prepared to work with students and offer personal advisement along with many interest and career inventories to assist the student in making a decision.

Does my son/daughter need a computer?

A personal computer is not required, but does provide the student access at their own convenience. But don't worry if your child does not have one. LCU has several computer labs on campus to serve the needs of students who do not have their own PC's. Every dorm room has direct and wireless Internet connections for those students who do bring computers.

How important is it to send my child to Freshmen Orientation?

While it is not mandatory, we strongly recommend it. Research says that students who attend Orientation are more likely to be successful and less likely to drop out. It's a great way to "get connected" and make adjustments before classes actually begin.