Functional Title: Director of Athletics
Classification: Salaried - Exempt
Reports To: President
Primary Function: Direct and develop the institution’s intercollegiate athletics program
Position Overview: The University Athletic Director is a senior administrative role responsible for overseeing and managing all aspects of the university's athletic programs. The AD reports to the university president and serves on the Senior Leadership Team. This role involves strategic planning, program development, budget management, fundraising, compliance with regulations, and fostering a positive and competitive athletic environment. The Athletic Director works closely with coaches, staff, student-athletes, university administration, and external stakeholders to ensure the success and growth of the university's athletic department.
- Strategic Leadership:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive strategic plan for the athletic department that aligns with the university's strategic plan.
- Establish short-term and long-term objectives to enhance the competitiveness and reputation of the athletic programs.
- Program Development:
- Oversee the hiring, training, and evaluation of coaches and athletic staff members.
- Collaborate with coaches to ensure high-quality training, coaching, and mentoring of student-athletes.
- Evaluate and enhance athletic facilities and resources to support optimal performance and safety.
- Budget Management:
- Develop and manage the athletic department's budget, ensuring responsible allocation of resources for various sports teams, equipment, travel, facility maintenance, and appropriate contribution margin to the university to cover overhead.
- Seek opportunities for cost savings and revenue generation to sustain and improve the athletic programs and contribute to the mission of the university.
- Foster strong collaboration with financial aid and enrollment management to insure effective stewardship of institutional resources.
- Fundraising and Sponsorship:
- Identify and cultivate relationships with potential donors, sponsors, and partners to secure financial support for the athletic department.
- Lead fundraising campaigns, events, and initiatives to enhance the financial stability of the athletic programs.
- Compliance and Regulations:
- Oversee compliance officer and stay current on NCAA, conference, and university rules and regulations, ensuring the department's compliance with all relevant guidelines.
- Educate coaches, staff, and student-athletes about compliance matters and promote ethical conduct within the department.
- Student-Athlete Welfare:
- Advocate for the overall well-being of student-athletes, prioritizing their academic success, personal development, and mental and physical health.
- Foster a positive and inclusive team culture that values diversity, respect, and sportsmanship.
- Public Relations and Communication:
- Represent the athletic department to the university administration, alumni, media, and the broader community.
- Maintain effective communication channels to inform stakeholders about departmental activities, achievements, and initiatives.
- Event Management:
- Oversee the organization and execution of athletic events, including games, tournaments, and special events, ensuring a seamless and enjoyable experience for participants and spectators.
- Demonstrated Christian commitment and discipleship.
- Commitment to the university’s mission, vision, and values.
- A bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred in sports administration, business administration, or a related field.
- Several years of experience in athletic administration, with a proven track record of successful leadership and program development.
- Strong understanding of NCAA rules and regulations, as well as compliance standards.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills.
- Strong ability to multi-task with innovation and creativity.
- Demonstrated ability to manage budgets, fundraising campaigns, and sponsorship initiatives.
- Visionary leader capable of fostering a positive and motivating environment for coaches, staff, and student-athletes.
- Proficiency in a variety of computer applications.
While performing the essential duties of this job, the employee will be required to do the following:
- Be ambulatory around campus and in buildings.
- Required to regularly sit and stand.
- Frequently use wrist, hands and/or fingers to make small repetitive movements such as typing, distributing mail, and picking up small objects.
- Ability to talk frequently to convey detailed and/or important instructions or ideas accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Be able to hear average or normal conversations and receive verbal information.
- Required to lift packages and/or move heavy objects, 50+lbs.
All applicants should submit a resume, and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org before October 6, 2023.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; an employee will also perform other reasonably related job responsibilities as assigned by immediate supervisor and/or other management as required. LCU reserves the right to revise or change job duties, required skills or qualifications as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.