Graduate Academic Policies

Students registering for classes at the university are responsible for complying with the academic regulations of the university catalog. Unfamiliarity with these regulations does not constitute a valid reason for failure to comply. If there are questions, students should ask their advisor, the registrar, or the academic dean.

Good Academic Standing

Academic standing is based on the cumulative grade point average for the program in which the student is enrolled.  Grade point averages will be computed at the end of each semester. Students have the right to continue their studies at the university as long as they are making satisfactory progress toward a degree and complying with all other university standards. A permanent transcript of academic work is maintained in the office of the registrar. Students may view their transcripts on the student information system or request copies on the university web site.

Academic Probation

Students failing to maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA for graduate work will be placed on academic probation, and will have one semester to raise their cumulative GPA back to 3.0. Probationary status is recorded on the transcript.

Academic Suspension

Students placed on probation who fail to raise their cumulative GPA to 3.0 within one semester will be placed on academic suspension and prohibited from enrolling in graduate courses for one semester. Students will also be placed on academic suspension after failing all courses in a semester. Suspension status is recorded on the transcript. Students placed on academic suspension must reapply for admission.

Academic Suspension Appeal Procedure

To appeal a suspension, students must reapply and submit a letter to the office of Graduate Studies explaining all extenuating circumstances. This letter will be reviewed by the Graduate Council. The decision of the Graduate Council is final.Students on suspension who wish to enroll for classes at another institution must have prior permission. Students desiring to re-enroll after a second academic suspension must petition the provost in writing for reinstatement before enrolling in any additional graduate courses.

Program Policies

Some policies vary by academic program. What follows are policies common to all graduate studies programs. Please see the Admissions Standards section of this catalog for program-specific policies.

Academic Integrity

The university expects its students to conduct themselves with a level of honor and integrity befitting members of a Christian learning community, and in keeping with the university mission. The Code of Academic Integrity, which includes the appeals process, is found in the Student Handbook.


Graduate students are expected to demonstrate appropriate competencies in the academic discipline to which they are applying. Students changing disciplines may be required to complete leveling work of up to 18 upper-division hours in the new academic discipline.

Grading System

  • A–Excellent, four grade points per hour
  • B–Good, three grade points per hour
  • C–Average, two grade points per hour
  • D–Poor, one grade point per hour

The following are calculated at zero grade points per hour.

  • F–Failure, no credit. Given any time when students are dropped by their instructors or do not officially withdraw from the course.
  • P—Pass, to indicate passing score for comprehensive exams or internship/practicums.
  • PR– In Progress, given at the discretion of the instructor, if requested by the student. It is the responsibility of the student to see that a PR is removed. A PR cannot be permanently left on the transcript. Students have one semester to remove the PR grade, but with instructor and academic dean permission, the period may extend one additional semester. When a PR is not removed or extended at the end of one semester, the registrar must change the grade to F.
  • TR–Credit accepted from another university
  • W–Withdrew, indicates students have officially withdrawn from a class or from a semester... See academic calendar for last day to withdraw.

Grade Point Average

The GPA is a system for assigning a numerical average to student grade averages. Under this system, A is 4, B is 3, C is 2, D is 1, and F is 0 points. If students earn an A in a three-hour course, 12 grade points are earned (4 points multiplied by 3 hours equals 12). The grade points from each course are totaled and then divided by the number of hours attempted. A grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale must be maintained in all courses attempted for graduate credit. In addition, a grade of less than a C will not be recognized for graduate credit. No grade of C will be transferred into a graduate program.

Grading Changes

A grade can be corrected or changed with the written authorization from the teacher of record and the academic dean. A statement explaining the reason for the correction or change must accompany the written authorization. Grade changes should be received in the office of the registrar within one semester after the initial grade was given. Final grades are available to students in the student information system.

Grade Appeals

After final grades for an enrollment period are entered, students may appeal a grade within two weeks into the following enrollment period. The procedure for appealing a grade is as follows.

  • Students must first visit with the instructor of the course to learn how the grade was determined.
  • If disagreement still exists, students may submit a written request to the academic dean within two weeks from the date of meeting with the teacher. The dean will arrange a meeting with the chair, instructor, and student.
  • If disagreement continues, student may submit a letter to the provost requesting a formal appeal of the grade within two weeks of the meeting arranged by the dean. The provost will convene the Graduate Council.
  • The Graduate Council will set a time to hear from the student and the teacher concerning the grade dispute. The hearing will take place no later than 30 days from the date of the letter requesting a formal appeal. Legal counsel will not be permitted during the appeal process.
  • A formal appeal is only available to determine whether the grade was determined in a fair and appropriate manner. The existing grade will remain in place if no clerical error, prejudice, or capriciousness is found. The Graduate Council will not re-evaluate assignments in question.
  • The Graduate Council will consider all issues related to the grade; however, the Council will presume the grade was determined in a fair and appropriate manner and is correct. The burden rests with the student to show the grade was unfairly determined. A final determination will be made by the Graduate Council.

Class Changes

Students enrolling during advance registration may change their class schedules prior to the first day of class without penalty. Class changes consist of adding classes, dropping classes, or canceling all classes. Students who want to cancel their classes must contact the registrar prior to the first day of class. Schedule changes after classes begin must be completed within the drop/add period. Students dropping or adding classes after the drop/add period will be charged a $25 drop/add fee per course. Courses dropped after the drop/add period but before the last day to drop with a W, will receive a grade of W. Drop/add period dates are found on the academic calendar. To drop or add classes, a request, approved by both student and advisor, must be provided to the registrar. Students who elect to leave without formally withdrawing will be given a grade of F. 


Students desiring to drop all of their courses must complete a withdrawal form. Withdrawal forms are available from the office of the registrar. Official withdrawal results in a W recorded on the transcript for courses in session on the date of withdrawal. In cases where a course was completed before a withdrawal, the earned grade is recorded. Students desiring to withdraw after the last day to drop with a W must have an extenuating circumstance, such as military call up or deployment or personal medical emergency. Students withdrawing must contact Financial Aid and the Business Office to determine the status of their bill. 

Repeating Courses

Students wishing to raise their GPA may repeat a course at Lubbock Christian University. Both grades will appear on the permanent record, but the last grade received is used to calculate the GPA. For information on financial aid eligibility for repeated courses, check the Graduate Financial Assistance section of this catalog or consult personnel in the Office of Financial Assistance.

Class Attendance

Failure to attend classes results in fewer learning opportunities. Absences must be explained to the satisfaction of the instructor. Acceptance of late work is up to the instructor. Students disrupting class may be dismissed from class. Students dismissed from class may appeal to the academic dean.

Requirements for Master's Degree

  • Completion of 30 semester hours or more, depending on program
  • Achieve an overall GPA of at least 3.0
  • Completion of at least a majority of courses from the university. Refer to the Transfer Credit Policy for specifics. 
  • Completion of course requirements and examinations specific to the degree sought
  • Completion of an application for graduation, submitted to the office of the registrar, before the deadline
  • Requirements for a degree requiring less than 40 hours must be completed within six years of initial enrollment in the program. Degrees requiring 40-60 hours have an eight year time limit. Degrees requiring more than 60 hours have a ten year time limit.  Exceptions to time limits must be approved by the academic dean.
  • Applicable requirements are those established by the catalog in effect at the time students enter the program, or those of any subsequent catalog edition, provided that degree requirements are completed within the time limit.

Comprehensive Examination and Portfolio Requirements

Candidates for a master's degree must pass a written comprehensive examination, capstone course with competency examinations, and/or complete a portfolio assignment prior to graduation, depending on program requirements. This examination may be taken during the last semester of course work, but it must be taken no later than thirty days following the completion of required course work. The specific examination will be prepared under the guidance of the advisor who will consult the members of the graduate faculty teaching in the discipline. At least two members of the graduate faculty will grade the written examination. Students who fail the examination must retake the examination or meet corrective stipulations established by the graduate faculty. Permission to take the comprehensive examination a third time must be approved by the advisor and the academic dean.

Second Master's Degree in the Same Discipline

Students are not permitted to pursue two master’s degrees concurrently. Students holding a master's degree from the university may request that a portion of the hours from their first master's degree be applied to the second master's degree. Courses must directly apply to the second master's degree and be approved by the advisor. The maximum number of hours applicable to the second master's degree varies by program. In 30 hour master’s programs, up to 9 hours may be applied toward the second degree. In 35-37 hour master’s programs, up to 12 hours may be applied. In 48-49 hour master’s programs, 15 hours may be applied. In the 72-hour Masters of Divinity program, 18 hours may be applied.

Graduate Degree Plan Requirement

Students must have an approved degree plan prior to the second term.