The goal of the Nursing Center of Excellence is to promote student and alumni success through engagement in nursing research, utilization, and dissemination or the purpose of improving the health of the people of the south plains region.
The LCU Department of Nursing is engaged in a Research Collaborative with Covenant Health to forward their Magnet Journey. Covenant Health has been selected for participation in a patient safety study focused on prevention of medication errors as a part of the Improvement in Science Research Network, multi-site, national study funded by the Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research. This will be the first national patient safety study for CH and LCU in the Research Collaborative.
Research, Brown Bags, and Scholarship
LCU Department of Nursing and Covenant Health are pleased to announce their Research Partnership.
The Iota Mu chapter of Sigma Theta Tau is pleased to collaborate with LCU to promote nursing research in the Research Brown Bag (RBB) programs. All RBB take place in the Department of Nursing, LCU campus.
LCU Department of Nursing Faculty
Upcoming Brown Bag Events:
- Patricia (Patty) Freier, MSN, RN-BC, RCIS, April 16, 2015
- Laura Thomas, Dr.
Past Brown Bag Events:
- Dalton Keel, DNP(c), RN, CCRN, Nurse Consultant - Implementing Text Reminders and Social Media: a #stepintherightdirection
- Dalton Keel, DNP(c), RN, CCRN, Nurse Consultant - DSHS HIV AA Grant, "Implementing Text Reminders and Social Media: A #stepintherightdirection" Thursday, January 22, 2015, 4:30pm - 5:30pm, LCU Nursing Building.
- Laura Opton, MSN, RN, CNE, Assistant Professor, TTUHSC - SON (LCU Alum) and Amy Moore, DNP, RN, FNP-C, Director, RN-BSN Program will present their research on Women's Health in a Global Context. Invited Response: Dr. LaNell Harrison.
- Cindy Ford, PhD, RN, CNE, "A Dissertation Revisited: Updated Best Practice in Nursing Education." Invited Response: Cathy Box, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Education.
- Mark Wilkinson, MSN, RN, "Does the Health Partners Program Reduce Recidivism in Congestive Heart Failure Patients?" Invited Response: Patty Freier, MSN, RN-BC, RCIS.
- Elaine Emery, MSN, RN, CDE, Covenant Health present: "Improving Glycemic Control in Adult Non-Critical Care Units." Invited response.
- Matthew Cotton, MSN, RN, Covenant Health presents: "Exploring Facilitators ad Barriers to Healthy Eating Among Community Gardeners." Invited Response: Dr. Nadine Zeeni, Professor of Nutrition, Lebanese American University (virtual response).
- J. Dalton Keel, MSN, RN, CCRN, Nurse Consultant- DSHS HIV AA Grant presents: "HIV Insight: Texas Epidemiology, the National Strategy, and the future." Invited Response: Dr. Steven Bonner, Ricky Vaughn, & Dr. Alozie.
- Maribeth Lyon, MSN, RN, Covenant Health presents: "Exploring Alternative Pain Management Methods of Registered Nurses in Surgical and Cardiac Telemetry Units."
- Kyle Johnson, MSN, RN, Faculty, TTUHSC presents: "Using High-Fidelity Simulation for Therapeutic Hypothermia Competency." Invited Response: Dr. Sharon Decker
- Dr. Daniel Hatch, "An Evidence-based Approach to Initiating Insulin Therapy in the Adult Typer 2 Diabetic Patient" Invited Response: Dr. Emily Merrill
- Jamie Roney, Erin Whitley, Kim Stunkard, Jessica Maples, & Lexie Futrell “Testing and Implementation of a Modified Early Warning System (MEWS) Project"
- Amanda Venable, "Is Electronic Surveillance Equivalent to Manual Surveillance of Healthcare Acquired Infections (HAI)?" Invited Response: Lucy Porter
- Dalton Keel, “HIV AIDS in Adolescents a Texas Sized Dilemma” Invited Response: Dr. Steven Bonner
- Effectiveness of Lenburg's COPA Model in increasing Nursing Student Engagement and Clinical Competency: A Case Report-with Paula Ponder, MSN, RN; Kathy Virone, MSN, RN, CCRN; and Terry Hill, MSN,RN, Invited Response: Dr. Carrie Lenburg
- LaNell Harrison, Ph.D.-Maternal Confidence Learning Model and an Educational Intervention Called Baby Basics 101© Invited Response: Dr. Besty Thomas
- Lisa Dillard, MSN, RN - "Improving Breast-feeding Outcomes in Home Visitation, A Clinical Protocol Pilot Project"
- Lee Ann Fabry, MSN, RN, CNRN,“Development of the Student Retention Committee at Covenant School of Nursing: Discussion of a Successful Grant Proposal and Outcomes”
- Marguerite Fallon, DNP, RN“Evidence-Based Practice: Proactive Rover Team Assessment in the Hospitalized Pediatric Patient”, Marguerite Fallon, DNP, RN
Accepted Research Posters and Podium Presentations
Beverley Byers: - "Do Graduate Nursing Students Have a Change in Perspective Regarding Nursing Care after Taking a Nursing Theory Course?"
Rita Doumit: - "Effects of Recording Food Intake Using Cell Phone Camera Pictures on Calorie Intake and Food Choice in College Students."
Rita Dounit: - "Investigating Vulnerability for Developing Eating Disorders in a Multi-Confessional Lebanese Sample
43rd Biennial Convention
Las Vegas, Nevada
7-11 November 2015
LCU Rising Stars
Amanda C. Raymundo: - "Treating Attention -Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in U.S. Children with Complementary Alternative Medicine Therapies: How effective are they?"
Crystal Pellam: - "Effectiveness of a KUDOS Program in Increasing Nursing Job Satifaction."
Kimberly Fiveash: - "Win the War"
26th International Nursing Research Congress
San Juan, Puerto Rico
23-27 July 2015
Rising Stars of Scholarship and Research Poster Program
Amanda Cole: - "Breastfeeding and Postpartum Depression."
Stephanie Dunkle: - "Reliability Testing of a Modified Early Warning Score (MEWS) System."
Morgana Posada: - "Literature Review on Harmful Effects of Synthetic Marijuana and Needed Public Health Education."
Erin Whilley: - "Recognizing Sepsis using a Modified Early Warning Scoring (MEWS) Tool."
Crystal Pellam: - "Effectiveness of a KUDOS Program in Increasing Nursing Job Satisfaction."
Beverley Byers, Susan Sayari: - "Do Graduate Nursing Students Have a Change in Perspective Regarding Nursing Care after Taking a Nursing Theory Course?"
R. Doumit, N. Zeeni, J. Long, C. Kazandjian, N. Gharibeh, L. Karam, Song H., C. Boswell: - "Effects of Recording Food Intake Using Cell Phone Camera Pictures on Calorie Intake and Food Choice in College Students."
R. Doumit, G. Khazen, I. Katsounari, C. Kazandijian, O. Sukkarieh-Haraty, J. A. Long, N. Zeeni: - "Investigating Vulnerability for Developing Eating Disorders in a Multi-Confessional Lebanese Sample."
Accepted for Presentation Sigma Theta Tau International 25th International Research Congress
Hong Kong, China
July 22-28, 2014
Dusty Hough "Association between implantation of Graduate Nurse Internship and Retention through the First Two Years of Employment"
Adelyn S. Mitchell "Perceptions, Methods of Controlling, and Preventing Violence against Emergency Room Nurses "
Bruce M. Mitchell - "Which fluid, Lactated Ringer's or Normal Saline 0.9% is the best chice for nursing practice in the air medical industry?"
Madelyn Sparks - "Sparks Code-Blue Ability Questionnaire of Novice Nurses in the ICU."
JoAnn Long, Sara Dodd, Martin Binks, Toby Rogers, Carol Boswell, and Ngozi Anywanwu - "Diet, Encoded Memory, Visual Cues, Obesity, and Neuroimaging"
JoAnn Long, Paula Gannaway, Cindy Ford, Rita Doumit, Nadine Zeeni, Ola Sukarieh-Haraty, Aline Milane - "Outcomes of an Evidence-Based Research (EBR) Tool to Teach Online Research and Critical Thinking Skills"
28th National Conference on Undersgraduate Research (NCUR)
April 3-4, 2014
Winter Chambers - "Emotional Eating and Visual Food Records."
Improvement in Science Research Network
San Antonio, TX
August 5-6, 2014
Mark Wilkinson - "Does the Health Partners Program Reduce Rcidivism in Congestive Heart Failure Patients?"
Accepted for Presentation Sigma Theta Tau International 24th International Research Congress
Prague, Czech Republic
July 22-26, 2013
Dana Boltz, LaNell Harrison, JoAnn Long -“Teaching Nurses and Lay Midwives in Malindi, Kenya”
BevByers, JoAnn Long – “Student Learning Outcomes and Global Trips: Insight into Cultural Awareness and Personal Growth”
Matthew T. Cotton, JoAnn Long – “Exploring Facilitators and Barriers to Healthy Eating Among Community Gardeners”
Jane Fuerstenberg – “The Significance of Low Health Literacy, Self-management, and Compliance in Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes”
Lexie Futrell, Erin Whitley, Jessica Maples, Kim Stunkard, Jamie Roney, JoAnn Long “Reliability Testing of a Modified Early Warning Scoring (MEWS) System”
Cynthia Mullen – “Implementation of an Evidence-based Management Algorithm in the Treatment of Post-Operative Chylothorax Children”
Rosa San Pedro, JoAnn Long – “The Role of Patient Selected Music in Decreasing Anxiety in Adult Patients Undergoing Cataract Extraction Under Monitored Anesthesia”
Jamie Roney, Erin Whitley, Jessica Maples, Kim Stunkard, Lexie Futrell, JoAnn Long – “Usability and Acceptability Testing of a Modified Early Warning Scoring (MEWS) Tool Using Simulation”
Christi S. Weems, JoAnn Long – “Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy: A Treatment Option for Seniors with Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo”
Accepted for Presentation Sigma Theta Tau International 42nd Biennial Convention Indianapolis, IN November 16-20, 2013
Jane Fuerstenberg – Rising Star in Scholarship LCU Representative - “The Significance of Low Health Literacy, Self-management, and Compliance in Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes”
Amanda Venable – Rising Star in Scholarship LCU Representative – “Is Electronic Surveillance Equivalent to Manual Surveillance of Healthcare Acquired Infections (HAI)?”
Maribeth Lyon - Exploring Alternative Pain Management Methods of Registered Nurses in Medical and Surgical Cardiac Telemetry Units
27th National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR)
Kim Stunkard, "Testing of a Modified Early Warning System (MEWS) Tool"
Accepted for Presentation at Sigma Theta Tau International 23rd Research Congress: Brisbane, Australia, July 30-August 4, 2012
Sue Dossey, Janice Miller, University Medical Center, LCU Alum
“Creating a Committed Alumni Base of Support: Methods and Metrics”
Paula Ponder, Terry Hill, Kathy Virone CovenantSchool of Nursing, LCU Alumni“Effectiveness of Lenburg’s COPA Model in Increasing Nursing Student Engagement and Clinical Competency: A Case Report”
Lynn Cain, University Medical Center & LCU MSN student
“Effects of Parental Involvement in Nutrition Education on Consumed Foods”
Becky Geist, LISD, LCU MSN student
“Why are College Students Abusing Adderall?
Courtney Ivey, Covenant Medical Center, LCU Alum
“Exploring Key Retention Factors for Retaining Nurses at the Bedside”
Kim McCauley, Covenant Medical Center, & LCU MSN student
“Knowledge Translation: Making the Evidence for Medication Reconciliation Meaningful”
JoAnn Long, Cindy Ford, LaNell Harrison, Bev Byers, Steve German, Rod Blackwood, LCU
“Brokers of Change: Outcomes of a Shared Governance Model of Leadership in Academia”
2012 Scholar's Colloquium
Elaine Emery, RN, MSN,CDE - Inpatient Management of Hyperglycemia in the Acute Care Setting Utilizing Basal Bolus Insulin Instead of Sliding Scale Insulin
Marguerite Fallon, DNP, RN - Perspectives on Mentoring Evidence Based Practices
LCU SCHOLAR'S COLLOQUIUM POSTER AWARDS
1st Place: Ami Freeman and Duston Merton
2nd Place: Mary Ellen Holland and Erin Pirkle
3rd Place: Susan Sayari and Maribeth Lyon
STTI Iota Mu Poster Awards
1st Place: Tiffnay Nino and Veronica Estrada
2nd Place: Kelli Duriex, Sam Dennis and Allister Morris
3rd Place: Shanna Morrow and Richard Horton