The Lubbock Christian University's Institutional Review Board (IRB) was established to review, approve, and monitor research projects conducted by LCU faculty, employees, and students. Following federal guidelines, the LCU IRB strives to protect the rights and welfare of all research subjects and therefore carefully reviews research projects to ensure that:
- Risks to subjects are minimized and are reasonable to anticipated benefits
- Informed consent is obtained from each subject or legal representative
- Data collection is monitored where applicable
- Privacy and confidentiality of research subjects is protected
Human Subjects Research that will be published or presented in any scholarly venue should seek IRB approval. Some examples include research to be published in a journal, presented at an academic conference, NCUR, or the Scholar's Colloquium. Research that will be presented only in the classroom as part of regular classroom activities need not be submitted for review.
What Authority does an IRB have?
An IRB has the authority to:
- Approve research
- Require research modification
- Disapprove research
- Conduct continuing reviews
- Observe/verify changes
- Suspend or terminate approval
Application Guidelines for Expedited Review and Full Review of Research Proposals
All research involving human subjects must be reviewed and approved prior to initiating the research.
- Complete the Application for Using Human Participants in Research form
- Complete the Participant Population form
- Complete the written Research Proposal and all related forms including questionnaires, consent form, testing instruments, interview protocols, cover letters, instructions to participants, written permission to use copyrighted material, recruitment documents, etc.
- (Effective Sept. 30th 2014) Provide NIH (or CITI) certificate verifying certification in human subjects research. Must be valid in the last five years.
- Submit an Electronic Copy of the Application, the Participant Population form, the Research Proposal and all other related forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application for Exemption from IRB Review
If you believe your human subjects research falls under an exempted category, please fill out the following form: Application for Exemption